Celebrating 150 Years at Morgan.
It all began an ocean away in 1834 and continues to this day in America’s heartland.
The history of the Morgan Engineering Company begins with Thomas Rees Morgan, who was born in 1834 in Wales. He began working in a coal mine when he was just eight years old.
In 1865 he immigrated to America and began working at the Cambria Iron Company in Johnstown, Pa. He opened his own shop in Pittsburgh by 1868. The business moved to Alliance in August 1871. In 1894, when Mr. Morgan’s partner sold his interest, the company was renamed the Morgan Engineering Company.
Blaw-Knox and Heppenstall were formed in 1912 and 1889, respectively. Those companies were acquired by Morgan engineering in 2009. Combined, we have put more than 30,000 pieces of heavy production equipment into service.
Morgan Engineering is well known throughout the world as the leading designer of overhead electric traveling cranes, a holder of thousands of patents and designs, and manufacturer of more than 30,000 cranes. In addition to custom overhead cranes for aluminum companies, steel mills, electric power plants, refuse facilities, container handling and general industry, Morgan manufactures equipment such as transfer cars, ladles, scrap buckets, presses, manipulators and most large fabrications.